The interior environment of a classroom plays an important role in the overall learning experience of the students. In fact, some researchers have considered the physical environment of the classroom as the students’ “third teacher.” This is why it’s extremely necessary for schools to invest in durable school furniture with excellent quality.
The choice of school furniture is a critical decision that all educators must take into consideration, not only for the comfort of the students but for their safety as well. But what makes school furniture durable? Read on to find out.
How to Tell the Durability of School Furniture
Durability is a major consideration when buying school furniture, especially if they are to be used by young and active kids. Furthermore, if you choose to invest in durable school furniture, you can minimize the expense needed for constant repair and replacements. So here’s how to tell if the furniture is durable.
- Excellent finish – the number one sign that certain furniture is cheaply made is its finish. Whether it is the feel or touch of the fabric, sheen or color of the wood stain, or the patina of a metal. Therefore, when buying school furniture, take time to inspect the furniture closely so you can determine if it has an excellent finish.
- High-quality material – sometimes, you could be lucky enough to end up buying high quality but inexpensive school furniture. But take note that cheap furniture means cheap quality. Having a small knowledge of the different materials used for making durable school furniture can help you in making the right decision. High-quality school furniture is generally made from solid hardwood and the joints are integrated within frame components. Moreover, the parts are often reinforced using screws and glue. One of the best places to find school furniture with excellent quality is Office Plus. As for the upholstery and fabric, they should be made from natural fibre fabrics such as wool, cotton, and linen.
- Handcrafted furniture – handcrafted furniture may be more expensive, but they are highly durable. These furniture pieces are often made with utmost care and attention to detail, unlike the mass-produced pieces. Handcrafted school furniture is guaranteed to last for a long time and they are usually more refined, which enhances the look and feel of the classroom interior.
- Weight – when shopping for furniture, weight can be an important factor in determining the furniture’s durability. For instance, if you’re buying a desk that’s made from cast iron, yet the desk is unexpectedly light, there’s a good chance that it’s made from counterfeit materials. But remember that heavier does not necessarily mean better. Generally, something that is made of wood should not be too light and not too heavy as well.
Aside from the tips above, another way to determine the durability of the school furniture is to test it. For instance, if you’re buying seating furniture that the students will lounge upon, the easiest way to figure out its quality is to have someone to sit on it. If you are buying a desk, shelving, or a table, try to put some weight on the furniture and try to wiggle it. See if it can hold up well under pressure.
Aside from the durability, there are other important factors to consider when buying school furniture. Here are some of them.
- Mobility and functionality – today’s collaborative learning atmosphere require that school furniture has to be rearranged in order to keep up with the school’s diverse teaching styles. Some school facilities are now constructed with no built-in furniture. In this case, school furniture that has more than one use would be a great investment. Examples are rectangular tables that are lightweight and can be easily reconfigured and arranged in rows for lectures, group workshops, etc.
- Appropriate sizing – kids are not miniature adults, thus, their furniture should be something that’s appropriate for them. The rise of musculoskeletal disorders among students means that more attention is needed when it comes to choosing the furniture that is appropriate for their body size. Seat heights must be suitable to the student’s age. Seats that come with adjustable seating, which can be altered quickly for the height and position is perfect for workstations and classrooms.
- Safety – safety is very important when buying furniture to be used by the students, especially small kids. When buying chairs or desks, make sure they are stable enough. The chairs should not tip back easily and the shelves should not pinch. If there are certain parts that are moving, they should be lightweight and easy for the kids to maneuver. That way, hands or fingers will not get stuck.
- Health standards – the construction of the school furniture must meet the health standards set for low-level VOC (Volatile Organic Compound). You will find that some school furniture comes with green certifications, which means that they are constructed without any formaldehyde, a type of substance that’s harmful to the kids’ health.
- Support – when looking for a furniture manufacturer, choose the company that can provide you with excellent customer support. They should be able to attend to the schedule you set, especially in terms of delivery and installation options. Above all, they should be able to offer after-sales service and support. Smaller furniture companies usually have limited quantities of school furniture and often have long lead times that may not fit within your time frame.
Remember that classroom furniture plays an important role in how well the students can perform in school. If the kids are not comfortable with the chair they are seating on or the desk they are using, you cannot expect them to concentrate in lectures or participate in class discussions.
Whether you are building a new school or you simply want to upgrade your existing school furniture, the tips above should be helpful in choosing the right school furniture to invest in. Before you start shopping for school furniture, take time to decide what you really want. This should help in narrowing down your options especially since there are so many furniture manufacturers nowadays. Knowing what you want beforehand can also help to minimize the hassle and stress that comes with buying new sets of school furniture.
Just like any other sport, esports thrives in the viewership of fans, casual players, and new audiences alike. Its main selling point is not just the game itself, but also the quality of play that viewers came to see and experience. Esports is about watching the high level of play done by the “professionals” in order to see how much depth and quality the game offers, but how much of esports is about competitiveness? Let us discuss how important competitiveness is in developing the overall esports scene and what other factors affect viewership of titles that want to achieve or retain popularity status.
What Constitutes a Competitive Game in Esports
Primarily, viewers come to see the best of the best compete in the stage viewed by several thousands or even millions of people that love the game whether as a casual viewer or a hardcore player. However, how can we exactly define what constitutes a competitive game? Given that there is a wide spectrum of audience watching these games, finding a common definition for a competitive game would be difficult. However, for the purpose of discussion we can break down competitiveness into two major aspects.
First off, tight back-and-forth matches filled with plays and corresponding counterplays between two evenly matched teams or competitors would be a certified way of describing how competitive matches in esports looks like. The tension rises with the level of competition especially for those games that happen during the major events which puts the pride of players on the line with each match.
On the other hand, the showcase of a mix of innovative strategies as well as clean and crisp mechanical skill is also something that viewers look forward to in these games even if these happen to be one-sided matches. Seeing the expertise of professionals in performing difficult plays involving a deep game knowledge and precise timing will always be a recipe for a weekly highlight play. Yet, it seems that the following are not the only important things in esports. Why is it that there are some moments that the viewers get into more than others despite the clear presence of skill and close competition in most high-level matches?
Competitiveness turns into a Narrative
It’s all about the narrative that the game produces. Whether it’s a rivalry or an unlikely victory of the underdog, people get into the esports scene more when they can find something to cheer for and relate to. The context matters as much as the story and the competitiveness of the match. For example, Daigo’s legendary frame-perfect sequence of parries was definitely a top-level play, but it happened in the championship match of the EVO tournament with just a sliver of health remaining which made the play a whole lot more memorable up to date.
There are of course other plays such as Xpeke’s game winning backdoor play, Simple’s jumping AWP clutch, and Coldzera’s momentum-changing 4K jumping AWP shot that have made major tournaments into memorable ones or even unexpected victories such as Taipei Assassin’s Cinderella Run to the Season 2 Worlds Title and Alliance’s comeback victory for the TI3 championship.
In the world of esports, competitive play is just the main ingredient for maintaining viewership. What attracts people into the scene would definitely be the narrative of their favourite players and the moments that have defined the esports history throughout. Without the players, esports would not be such an exciting scene.